Join us as a
Freelance Data Protection Lab Consultant
Join a start-up
Ask Q is an oxymoron: it’s a start-up, with all the perks you’d expect from a start-up, but it has the experience and expertise of a grown-up. Every member of our team brings their own experience, expertise and vibe to the table and we are looking for a freelancer to complement our team. We invest in our people and are happy to share our expertise with you. And so are the people of Quinz, our founding fathers and a top-tier Benelux law firm.
Not sure yet? Discover all our career opportunities here.
Be a game changer
Ask Q wants to change the legal business. It is not the next law firm on the list but is the legal wing(wo)man that (international) companies have been looking for. At Ask Q, also as a freelancer, you will receive comprehensive learning and development opportunities that reach much further than the legal training within a law firm.
Ask Q serves as an extension of several top companies' legal teams with a Legal counsel on demand service and offers focused services in dedicated Labs. We want to change the legal business, also for our employees and the freelancers we work with. We want to change the legal business, also for our employees and the freelancers we work with. We are passionate about what we do, but we know that there is more to life than work.
Your role in a nutshell
In 2021, Ask Q launched the Data Protection Lab, which operates as the extension of legal teams for all matters related to both data protection and data valorization. Our Data Protection Lab aims to offer hands-on solutions for our customer’s day-to-day data protection encounters and not-so-everyday projects alike. Unlike more traditional law firms, we do not just offer data protection advice from a distance. We like to take ownership of the client’s problem and aim for easy-to-implement solutions that unburden the client by actually diving into the clients’ systems and connecting legal, IT and the business. We do the client’s homework.
We are looking for a pioneering legal professional who is triggered by this approach and who has a keen interest and experience in the fast-changing world of data protection and data valorization.
Your Ask Q week will include:
- integrating your data protection know-how in the client’s day-to-day operations (contract drafting, policy reviews, etc.);
- taking care of GDPR compliance in exciting projects (e.g. app development) or assisting new companies to achieve data protection compliance from scratch;
- helping clients to maximize data usage and valorization, while minimizing liability risks;
- proactively communicating with and advising the client’s international business teams on all kinds of data protection matters, either as their external DPO or as a dedicated legal counsel;
- providing data protection awareness training or crash courses that are tailored to the client’s business;
- discussing new data protection evolutions and proposing pragmatic solutions with your Ask Q colleagues in an open atmosphere;
- supplementing your legal skills with IT know-how by working together with non-legal profiles, such as IT specialists or ethical hackers;
- managing and coaching our junior legal consultants;
- you will work with talented colleagues.
- You hold a master’s degree in law from a renowned university. Any additional study or education is an asset;
- You have at least three years of relevant work experience in data protection, as a lawyer in a law firm or consultancy firm, or as a legal counsel position in an (international) company;
- You see data protection as part of the bigger company picture;
- You are a strong communicator with solid contract drafting and negotiation skills;
- You can coach and monitor the work of others to facilitate the achievement of objectives;
- You are fluent in English. Fluency in Dutch or French is a nice to have;
- You can work accurately with an eye for detail and deliver high-quality work;
- You have a hands-on mentality, are business-minded and have a high customer and service orientation; and
- You show a proactive approach and have a knack for problem-solving;
- You can work project-based and you are flexible to work 1 to 4 days a week on ad hoc assignments.