Join us as an
IT Consultant (Legal Engineer)
Join a start-up
Ask Q is an oxymoron: it’s a start-up with all the perks you’d expect from a start-up, but it has the experience and expertise of a grown-up. Every team member brings their own experience, expertise and vibe to the table and we are looking for another person to complement our team. We invest in our people and are happy to share our expertise with you. And so are the people of Quinz, our founding fathers and a top-tier Benelux law firm.
Not sure yet? Discover all our career opportunities here.
Be a game changer
Ask Q wants to change the legal business. It is not the next law firm on the list but is the legal wing(wo)man that (international) companies have been looking for. Ask Q serves as an extension of several top companies' legal teams with a Legal counsel on demand service and offers focused services in dedicated Expert Labs. We want to change the legal business, also for our employees: we offer complete transparency about financials, strategy and planning, we let our consultants take ownership over clients and projects and we understand the importance of a good balance between work and life. We are passionate about what we do, but we know there is more to life than work.
Your role in a nutshell
One of our offerings is what we call “Legal Operations Consulting”. This newly created offering and team enables legal departments to service their internal clients more effectively. The change processes and activities we advise on include: the use of (legal) technology, knowledge management, digitalization, financial management, change management and data analytics.
Many of these processes require the implementation of technology. As a result, we are looking for an IT Consultant (Legal Engineer) who translates our client’s needs and requirements into technological tools and solutions. We will prepare you to become a legal technology and digitalization expert in record time, able to tackle many of the challenges company lawyers face. These challenges are very often related to document and process automation, contract lifecycle management, document management, data capture, extraction and analytics, matter management, and so much more. As an IT Consultant (Legal Engineer), you can work directly with our clients and bring real contributions to their digital transformation.
Through Ask Q’s Legal Operations Consulting offering, our team is pioneering in the legal services market. Legal Operations is relatively new with no clear incumbents. Joining Ask Q as an IT Consultant (Legal Engineer) is a unique opportunity to join an exciting adventure of rapid growth and innovation.
Your Ask Q week will include:
- participating in client interviews and (design thinking) workshops to understand the problems our clients are facing and creating bespoke solutions for our clients
- translating those solutions into practical digital tools ranging from off-the-shelf legal technology tools to bespoke customizations in, for example, Microsoft Sharepoint and Power Automate
- testing those solutions using the lean methodology and collecting feedback from the Ask Q team as well as the client
- populating those digital tools with real data from our clients (e.g., contracts, legal entities, processes)
- staying up to date on ongoing projects using project management principles and tools
- guiding clients through the change management process that is crucial for the successful completion of our projects and assignments
- getting continuous feedback as well as various learning and development opportunities. You will work with talented colleagues who will help you build both a strong technology and legal background, enabling you to work for large international companies
- continuously looking for ways to improve the client’s way of working and conducting horizon scanning within the area of legal technology and legal operations
- being part of pilots to test out new business ideas and forms of collaboration
In our distributed ownership model, you can – on top of your IT consulting work – also take on an additional role to develop non-legal/digital skills that you are interested in. These roles are very varied: for example, we have talent tigers who help with recruiting, a happiness officer who organizes office events and a knowledge manager who is our curator on everything related to knowledge products. If you feel there is a need for another role that you want to take on, we’re more than happy to listen to you. Next to that, we will encourage (and support) you to take charge of your continuous learning curve by creating a place where you get the room to fail, grow and share your learnings with the rest of the team. You will relentlessly train your colleagues, while you will also learn from them.
- You a have keen interest in the legal profession as well as a talent for quickly understanding new technologies and tools
- You have a good general understanding of technology. Being able to program code is not required, but certainly a plus
- You hold a degree in either (i) law or legal practice or (ii) computer or information science
- You have 0-3 years of relevant work experience as a legal professional or working in an IT-role
- You are a high-caliber individual with outstanding problem-solving and communication skills, who is capable of rapidly understanding and solving a wide variety of novel and complex problems, taking the initiative and innovating to find solutions
- You are detail-oriented and organized
- You are fluent in English and Dutch.
- You are a strong team player with the ability to work independently