Join us as a
Mid-level Contracts Lab Consultant
Join a start-up
Ask Q is an oxymoron: it’s a young fast-growing company, with all the perks you’d expect from a start-up, but it has the experience and expertise of a grown-up. Every member of our team brings their own experience, expertise and vibe to the table and we are looking for another person to complement our team. We invest in our people and are happy to share our expertise with you, just as you will share yours with your colleagues. To expand this expertise even further, we are backed by Quinz, our founding fathers and a top-tier Benelux law firm.
- Not sure yet? Discover all our career opportunities here.
Be a game changer
Ask Q wants to change the legal business. It is not the next law firm on the list but is the legal wing(wo)man that (international) companies have been looking for. At Ask Q, as a legal consultant, you will receive comprehensive learning and development opportunities that reach much further than the legal training within a law firm. On top of that, you will also learn the ropes of the in-house legal profession by working for different companies, often simultaneously.
Ask Q serves as an extension of several top companies' legal teams with a Legal counsel on demand service and offers focused services in dedicated Expert Labs. We want to change the legal business, also for our employees: we offer complete transparency about financials, strategy and planning, we let our consultants take ownership over clients and projects and we understand the importance of a good balance between work and life. We are passionate about what we do, but we know that there is more to life than work.
Your role in a nutshell
As a Contracts Lab Consultant, you will be a part of the Contracts Lab, one of our Expert Labs that provides services from rethinking contract management to negotiating complex contracts. At the Contracts Lab, we eat, speak and breathe commercial contracts and we are looking for a legal professional with the same contracting appetite to join us.
Your Ask Q week will include:
- reviewing and negotiating those international commercial contracts, including strategic advising our clients accordingly keeping their business, sector, and risk appetite in mind;
- managing and coaching our junior legal consultants, with the ultimate goal to manage the entire contractual life cycle, ranging from contract initiation, negotiation, execution, storage, and post signature follow-up of commercial contracts. We are really talking about a big variety of contracts (master service agreements, sales and purchase agreements, logistic and transportation agreements, IT contracts, non-disclosure agreements, marketing agreements, and many more). All types of contracts that are essential for and to the daily operational flow of our (international) clients;
- getting continuous feedback as well as various learning and development opportunities, to grow fast as a legal professional. You will work with talented colleagues who will help you build a strong legal background enabling you to work for large international companies;
- building and maintaining relationships with the client’s international business teams but also with their suppliers, clients, and/or other business connections;
- participating, as a member of the client’s extended legal team, in team meetings;
- continuously looking for ways to improve the client’s contract process including advising on and helping to implement legal tech tools;
- organizing, together with your colleagues, tailor-made training on commercial contracts for our clients and/or your colleagues.
In our distributed ownership model, you can – on top of your high-level legal work – also take on an additional role to develop non-legal skills that you are interested in. These roles are very varied: for example, we have talent tigers who help with recruiting, a happiness officer who organizes office events and a knowledge manager who is our curator on everything related to knowledge products. If you feel there is a need for another role that you want to take on, we’re more than happy to listen to you. Next to that, we will encourage (and support) you to take charge of your continuous learning curve by creating a place where you get the room to fail, grow and share your learnings with the rest of the team. You will relentlessly train your colleagues, while you will also learn from them.
- You hold a master’s degree in law from a renowned university. Any additional study or education is an asset;
- You have 3-6 years of relevant work experience as a lawyer in a law firm or consultancy firm or as a legal counsel in an (international) company;
- You have a keen interest and experience in international commercial contracts and have a good understanding of contract-related issues and regulations within a range of industries;
- You can coach and monitor the work of others to facilitate the achievement of objectives;
- You are fluent in English; fluency in Dutch or French is a nice to have;
- You can work accurately with an eye for detail and deliver high-quality work;
- You have a hands-on mentality, are business-minded and have a high customer and service orientation; and
- You show a proactive approach and have a knack for problem-solving.