Join us as a
Senior Legal Counsel on demand
Join a start-up
Ask Q is an oxymoron: it’s a start-up, with all the perks you’d expect from a start-up, but it has the experience and expertise of a grown-up. Every member of our team brings their own experience, expertise and vibe to the table and we are looking for another person to complement our team. We invest in our people and are happy to share our expertise with you. And so are the people of Quinz, our founding fathers and a top-tier Benelux law firm.
Not sure yet? Discover all our career opportunities here.
Be a game changer
Ask Q wants to change the legal business. It is not the next law firm on the list but is the legal wing(wo)man that (international) companies have been looking for. Ask Q serves as an extension of several top companies' legal teams with a Legal counsel on demand service and offers focused services in dedicated Expert Labs. We want to change the legal business, also for our employees: we offer complete transparency about financials, strategy and planning, we let our consultants take ownership over clients and projects and we understand the importance of a good balance between work and life. We are passionate about what we do, but we know that there is more to life than work.
Your role in a nutshell
One of our offerings is what we call the “legal counsel on demand”. Our legal counsels on demand are the extension of the legal team of our clients. They step in whenever there are gaps, spikes or bottlenecks in the legal workload or workforce.
Sometimes our clients have no legal team on their own. In that case, we are the “legal department on demand” and handle all legal questions of our client’s management as their general counsel (and if needed also as their corporate secretary).
As a senior legal counsel on demand, you act as the external company lawyer for several companies at the same time and get integrated into several legal departments and/or management teams. You get in touch with a wide diversity of sectors, businesses and management teams.
We are looking for an ambitious senior legal professional who will be the single point of contact (SPOC) for some of our clients. As a SPOC, you are in touch with your clients daily. To serve your clients efficiently, you can rely on the support of the (more junior) team members who work under your supervision. You will also be responsible as their mentor and coach. Hence, we will relentlessly train you and you will train your colleagues.
Your Ask Q week will include:
- operating as the single point of contact for several clients in various sectors,
- leading your own team of (more junior) team members,
- complex contract and advisory work,
- working either remotely (home or Ask Q offices) or on-site with the client,
- communicating with and advising the client’s international business teams on all kinds of contractual, regulatory and compliance matters,
- legal project management,
- advising on legal strategy, business processes, policies, etc.,
- helping clients to define and/or continuously improve their legal strategy,
- doing business development (client visits, pitching, RFP preparations, company presentations, etc.)
- being part of pilots to test out new business ideas and forms of collaboration,
- getting continuous feedback as well as various learning and development opportunities, to grow fast as legal professional.
In our distributed ownership model, you can – on top of your high-level legal work – also take on an additional role to develop non-legal skills that you are interested in. These roles are very varied: for example, we have talent tigers who help with recruiting, a happiness officer who organizes office events and a knowledge manager who is our curator on everything related to knowledge products. If you feel there is a need for another role that you want to take on, we’re more than happy to listen to you. Next to that, we will encourage (and support) you to take charge of your continuous learning curve by creating a place where you get the room to fail, grow and share your learnings with the rest of the team. You will relentlessly train your colleagues, while you will also learn from them.
You have excellent legal drafting skills and a solid commercial acumen. You feel enthusiastic about working for the most prominent and innovative companies in Belgium and abroad. Clients praise you for combining the eye for detail with a hands-on, pragmatic approach.
- you hold a master’s degree in law,
- you have five years or more of experience in corporate or commercial law,
- You are a strong communicator with solid contract drafting and negotiation skills;
- you gained your expertise as an in-house lawyer in an international company or in a law firm with an international focus and reputation (ideally with in-house experience through a secondment),
- you are fluent in English; fluency in Dutch and/or French is a nice to have,
- you show a proactive approach and have a knack for problem-solving, and
- you are a strong team player with the ability to work independently.